Pages

23.11.11

Giving up the Glory

I work hard in my home. Morning til night there is work to be done. From the time I swing my feet onto the floor in the morning (often times after being wakened by a child's cries) until the time I collapse into bed at night I am working hard.

The other evening, as I slipped away for a precious few moments in my prayer closet, I was feeling particularly weary. It had been a busy day full of spills and messes, accidents and tantrums. I turned the lights low in my office and turned on a Jesus Culture song.





As the words of this song played, I began to weep. Specifically the line "...help me to never seek a crown, for my reward is giving glory to You."

As a mom, I do so many unnoticed deeds throughout the day. From scrubbing the toilet to emptying the dishwasher... from changing a dirty diaper to wiping a snotty nose. I do so many things that no one notices (unless they're not done). It is so easy for me to harbor resentment about not getting praised for the things I do. It can be frustrating to spend your entire day serving 2 little people who don't even know how to say thank you--or that perhaps they should say thank you--for the things being done for them.

But as I poured my heart out to God and let the lyrics to this song wash over my soul, I realized that it doesn't matter if I get recognized. I don't need a "crown" for the things I've done. My reward is bringing glory to my King.

Even as I pray, I always know that interruption is inevitable. I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting in the presence of God, with revelation pouring down on me, tears on my face and a song in heart... and I'll hear "Mommy! I poo'ed!" or "Mommy, sister is crying!" and I'm jolted out of prayer and back into reality... which for me is wiping bottoms and soothing infants. But I have to know, that even in those "unspiritual" things and those totally non poetic moments... I am bringing glory to the King. I can receive revelation of servant-hood as I take care of my children that will perhaps be more profound than what I would have learned locked in my office with my Bible before me.

God is abundantly able to meet us where we are. I went from having hours to spend in the presence of God, to minutes at a time. But you know what? I haven't stopped growing. God is still showing me Himself... just in different (and definitely more creative!) ways.


As Thanksgiving is upon us, lets be thankful for the ways in which God meets us. Lets be thankful that the glory is not ours for the taking.... but His. Lets be thankful that we don't have to rely on earthly "crowns" or praise to be our rewards... our reward is His glory. And we know He WILL have His glory. I hope this song strengthens and encourages you tonight as it did me.

Happy Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

Liz said...

Loved this post Claire! You are a wonderful mommy! Happy Thanksgiving :)

Krystle said...

This is so great. Thank you so much for the reality check and encouragement! Have a wonderful weekend!!

Callie said...

Beautiful post, Claire, and you are so right - even those little mundane tasks are bringing us rewards in Heaven if we do them for God's glory! Happy Thanksgiving, Friend!

Emily grapes said...

This is beautifully said. I hope and pray I don't seek after a crown, myself and I sincerely can't imagine what it's like being a mom with the stresses and struggles, but I'm sure its far from easy.

I hope you and your adorable family have a wonderful Thanksgiving today. :)

KyAnn said...

Such a good reminder to serve God in every area of life, wherever we are! :)

KyAnn

Rachel said...

I have just found your blog and I'm so glad I have. You have a beautiful writing style and this message is just what I needed to hear today!
It's so easy to get caught up in life and get self centered. Thanks for the reminder that it's all about him :)

I look forward to coming back and reading more. It's lovely to 'meet' you!

Truly His said...

Love this and needed this, Claire!!