Pages

10.3.12

Cholestasis (a third time.)

It's been a difficult week.

On Friday night, I started itching a little bit. I had this feeling in the pit of my stomach that it was Cholestasis again. (for my newer readers, I've had this liver disorder in both previous pregnancies and had been praying it wouldn't return in this one. You can follow this link to find out more about this rare disorder.) I immediately called my doctor and asked them to order the lab work so I could find out if this really was Cholestasis. I went early Saturday morning for my blood work, but had to wait until Tuesday to find out the results. The strongest symptom of Cholestasis is INTENSE itching all over your body, concentrated on the soles of your feet and the palms of your hands. It's not like mosquito bites, lice or rashes. It's an itching that literally comes from the inside out and is intolerable. I literally have made myself bleed many times from scratching myself. The itching is worse at night, which has resulted in many a sleepless night.

On Tuesday I discovered that yes, I indeed do have the disorder again.

Please pray for my safety and especially little Hunter's safety. Cholestasis poses a risk of fetal death late in pregnancy. For this reason, my doctor's will induce labor no later than 37 weeks (March 26) for the safety of our son.  I also go for Fetal Non-Stress Tests twice a week to ensure that Hunter is staying healthy despite the disease. If he doesn't test well at one of these tests, I will be induced immediately. I saw Hunter on an ultrasound on Wednesday, and it was so reassuring to see him happy and healthy in my womb. He looks wonderful.

Remember that I have previously given birth to two healthy baby girls with Cholestasis so I am very optimistic about the outcome. I am thankful for doctors that are working overtime to ensure my comfort and safety.

I covet your prayers as sleep is elusive these days and it's hard to keep my mind in a good place. God has been good at keeping my heart and mind in perfect peace, but I will admit, I have never struggled so much to keep myself peaceful and joyful. This week has been one of the most trying and difficult ones of my life. But God is good and He is providing so much comfort through the help of my husband and parents and wonderful friends and the joyful love of my two beautiful daughters.

Thank you all for praying!

8 comments:

Hannah said...

Thank you for your sweet comment. I love the thought of getting to know you better, too!

I'm soo sorry this has been a hard week. I can imagine. I will definitely pray!!!!! During my last pregnancy I was really worried and it looked like I was starting to get pre-e again like I had with my first. I got prayer cover on all sides, and God brought me to the end safely and gave me the miracle birth I could only have dreamed. I hope something similar happens for you. May God guard your heart and fill you with peace even during this hard time.

Tracey VanSickle said...

I had never heard of this before, but it sound so terrible. So very sorry this came up for you again with this pregnancy. Sending lots of good thoughts your way for these last few weeks.

Natalie said...

I am so sorry to hear this! I have never heard of this, but it sounds miserable. I pray that you and your son will remain safe and he will make it to 37 weeks...and that the itching is not too intolerable!

Emily grapes said...

Ahh, girl that stinks. I'm sorry you got it again. :( I sincerely hope it calms down and you're able to get all the rest you can get and not have it affect you so severely.

And that you and Hunter stay safe throughout the last few weeks of your pregnancy. I'll be praying for you guys!

Ria @ Life as a Wife! said...

Wow Claire!!!! Thank you for sharing and I will be praying. Is there treatment for the itch? We could have our sons on the same day or close... anxiously waiting here. I will pray for you as I struggle with patience and PETITION heaven to keep your baby safe and sound. God is faithful!

Shelly Ann said...

Praying for you and baby, Claire!

Rachel said...

Oh, you sweet girl, prayers for you all in this time. I came over after I read your latest tweet.
Praying, praying, praying for you and that sweet baby boy!!! And many prayers as well for the whole family!!

You seem strong, and I know you know God is with you always. :) {HUGS}

Unknown said...

Oh friend. I pray God's peace over you and have been praying for little Hunter. Following you on twitter. XOXO