Pages

14.9.10

Leaving.... on a Jet Plane

 "Don't cry because it's over.
Smile because it happened."
-Dr Seuss.

Exactly 24 hours from now, we'll be flying over the African continent, bound for the U.S.


I can't believe how quickly time has gone by--and that we're already headed home tomorrow. By 2pm on Thursday we'll (God-willing) have both feet on American soil.

The goodbyes we've had to say here have been heart-wrenching. It's so amazing to realize how quickly this place and these people have come to mean so much. We have formed friendships here that I hope to maintain over the years. We have made memories that will last a lifetime.

I can't say that I'm fully prepared to "re-enter" (as 'they' call it when a missionary goes home). Today my German friend Justine asked me if I was mentally prepared for the process of re-adjusting to my own culture... and to be honest I just looked at her for a couple seconds. I realized that honestly, I'm not. I hadn't given it much thought. I do remember that even after short term trips that I've taken (a month or less) I have had a difficult time with reverse culture shock. I can't be naive and think I won't deal with that reality--but I have to trust God to lead me each step of the way. Any advice you ladies who have experience with this (Steph?!?!?!) have would help though!!! I know it will be a process.

My heart is so full of the things that God has shown us through these last few days here. He has brought closure to so many areas of our hearts... and affirmation in the most beautiful forms. I can't wait to share my testimony of encouragement with all of you.... but I don't have the time I need to just sit and let my words run free. I'll take some time when we're settled to share it with you :)

We won't have internet set up at our place until the 25th, so there might be a bit of a break before I can post again. You're welcome to check my facebook (Claire Flores--add me if you haven't!!) for status updates from my ipod. If I get a chance to use internet at my parents, I'll update you all on here as well.

Please be praying for us as we face a 24 hour flying experience with a vivacious 15 1/2 month old!!! (and my aching preggo bod!!!!!!!) Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)

2 comments:

Tori said...

Safe travels Claire!!! Heading back to FB to add you now :)

~The Harrison Family~ said...

Wow - that's right, tomorrow is the 15th! It did come quickly. Will be praying for safe travels and for sweet Peyton to do very well for you guys, I'm sure that's tricky with such a long flight! I'm sure it was hard saying goodbye to your sis, hugs to you friend! God has big things in store for the Flores....I just know it!